Skip to main content

The Plan for my BFF...

Last Wednesday, I got the chance to visit my bestfriends house. We’ve been talking every now and then because he’s been remodeling his house. We both love old world materials particularly something with pinoy charm. That is the reason why some of the items found in my home will also be found in his place. Actually, he found ideas on my home and makes it also in his. Best friends that we are, he seeks my advice and put my ideas in his home. It was such a big improvement comparing from before. Now, it is an eclectic Tropical Filipino house.
The challenge that everyone is facing every house remodeling is how to make the vision work considering the current structure of the house. Right now, every one of us wants a house with a definite theme or with the way we wanted it to be. This was not what we are thinking of before during the house construction. Before, we are just particular on how big or small the house is, the number of bedrooms, the bathrooms, how spacious the living room and the kitchen. We failed to consider the details of the house, basically, its entire look.
That is the reason why it is hard for us to remodel the house basing its current bone structure. It’s a hit or miss always. A theme should always be supported by a structure. The two should go together, hand in hand.
And this is why I became interested in arranging homes and transforming it to the look that everyone loves. Achieving a look doesn’t mean destroying walls or even replacing the entire house. Sometimes, it’s just rearranging, de cluttering and adding some accents or key pieces. Filipinos tend to have so many beautiful things at home that is not being utilized or are neglected, those pieces that are usually kept in the storage area or in the garage.
My best friend’s house has a carved dining table. He wants to replace it but I refuse. I instructed him to repaint the table to give it a brand new look because the table matches his style. Right now, the table sits in its grandeur as the theme of the house happens. It is meant to be there. That’s a bucket of penny being saved.
I also advised him to build a wall and cut his terrace to provide a little porch before the main living room. This place, covered in roof but becoming wet when the rain pours. I told him to save the space and build a little receiving area instead. This way, he will also have the luxury of replacing his front door and make it more beautiful. During special occasions, visitors can hang out in this area without the fear of being wet when the rain pours. My friend asks me to put my vision into drawing so that he can see how it’s going to be. So I devoted a little of my time to put my vision into drawing and here it is.
The Japanese shoji screen panel will still open up the area but will provide privacy once closed. The elevation will still follow the original height. All he needs to do is to build a wall, put a nice wooden door, and put some transparent glass panels and wooden trellis to maintain the themed look.  A polycarbonate roof will be added above the wooden trellis for additional protection from rain.
I also added another space at the left which is his open lanai as he was requesting it. The space will be open on two sides with wooden trellis and polycarbonate roofing also.
I think my best friend will love this proposal. His mother also liked it when I discussed the initial plan to them. She also wanted the front space to be utilized. It was such a wasted space. Besides, she wanted to open up the way to the living area by building an archway and this will be possible once the current terrace was enclosed.
I hope to see this in my best friend’s house. All the best for him because he deserves it, and that is why I am doing my best for him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make Me Home No.4

Welcome to Make me Home edition 4. Weve been doing the dining, living and kitchen already and i guess its proper to feature a bedroom as well. This time, i want to feature a bedroom which is so typical to a filipino setting where the bedroom is shared by siblings. It is a common fact that due to limited space and budget, room sharing is an option to a modest family. Though privacy may be a little bit of a problem when sharing a space, intimacy and healthy relationships can be strengthen by sharing a room with someone who are dear to us. This room may be bit of a challenge for me. When i saw the room, i thought, a bed with a pull out will definitely solve the small space problem. But, its kinda ackward for someone to sleep on the pull out right? In fact, sleeping in a pull out is just an option for a sleep overs. It will be greater and even righteous to give a bed to everyone so they can have a space of their own. So i envisioned a "chic retreat style" for this bedroo

The L shaped Sofa

An L shape sofa is a sofa that is literally designed in the shape of an L. It is designed like this for a number of reasons, and is a great choice for many different kinds of living rooms. Many people are buying L shaped sofas these days, in fact, for all of the benefits they offer. So, in case you have not been able to witness these benefits firsthand, here they are! First and foremost, an L shape sofa gives you more actual sitting room than does a regular sofa. Why? Well, because there is simply more of it to sit on! There is the main section (much like a normal couch), then, there is the elbow (a very relaxing spot to sit, I might add..), and the rest of the L on the end...which is usually the size of at least a small loveseat. And since there is so much room on these pieces to sit, you can fit a lot more people onto an L shaped sofa like this than you could on a regular sofa. The next benefit that an L shape sofa gives us is the benefit of being more affordable. Now, at this, you

La Residencia Almar...my home in Dumaguete

This is La Residencia Almar in Dumaguete City where i stayed for six nights. Actually, this is my second time to stay in this hotel because i was here last year. I opted to stay again in this hotel because i love the view in its front and it is smaller than the usual hotel located in Dumaguete. In front of the hotel is the famous Dumaguete Boulevard where a lot of people, local and tourist gather every morning and at night to see the majestic view of the sea. But what makes me desire to stay once again is tits beautiful interior, a Balinese theme which i always love in every home. The nice lighting fixture greeted me as I enter the hotel. This is spectacular especially at night. I love the simple but colorful detail at the base of the chandelier. The nuetral paint, with mostly beige, white and brown accentuated by several niches where an old jars are kept in display, trimmings and wooden pieces makes me think that I am in an old world retreat but never forgetting the asian herit